Labels

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Today.

  Hello! I had a lot to do today. Unfortuantely I haven't finished the sides of the cabinet. I made only two of them, and the third, biggest one lays in the garage as glue didn't dry yet. I almost destroyed my table saw when I was resawing the last of my big logs, it's a little underpowered for such operations. Fortunately, it still works. So, yesterday I finished my work having the top and four legs made. Ahh, now I realised I didn't capture routing grooves in the legs. I needed to make dadoes to fit the side walls of the cabinet. It's critical to remember which leg needs a dado on which side, because otherwise you'll end up with strange ornaments on the project :) After you make the dadoes, which depth was the same as depth of tenons (looking from a side of leg; maybe I'll make some photos of them tomorow), you can cut the sides to the width. If you adjust the dadoes' depth the same as tenons you can now just use the spacing of mortises on the top to adjust your table saw - it helps a lot. I made dadoes in the sides as well to make a shoulder as the sides aren't really flat. It makes them look more rustic, but makes a lot of trouble as well.

  Here is a photo of gluing the back of the cabinet. I managed to glue it in two steps. That will keep it more flat, which is really critical to make the sliding dovetail, which I mentioned yesterday. It wouldn't stay flat, because I don't have more clamps. Only two of the length that would fit the size of the board.


  The two blocks are the ones which I cut to make the sides. I don't recommend it, because you cannot use a thickness planner with such small stock, but it was the only option as I don't have more wood to use.


  Hah, weather today was really weird. It was really sunny and hot, but all of a sudden it started raining. The rain was really dense, but I liked it, somehow it makes me fresh. Then came the Sun and it was sunny again. Yeah, but I wouldn't say the weather was weird if only that happened. Imagine normal weather, little cloudy, but calm sky, no rain, sunny and suddenly a lightning claping so loud that the sound echoed on the sky. And of course, rain :) Even heavier than before and for a while it even hailed. But it was still sunny! Of course, after that came a rainbow, finally. Ok, let's go back to the broject.


  Below, there are the sides waiting for being glued. One with a special forces badge drawed on it :) Cracked imagination. The second photo shows gluing of the back of the cabinet.



  And here is what I finished today's work with. Looks really cute, but that's not all! Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment