Labels

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Photo booth

  Another busy day. As I said, or wrote, I'm making another little cabinet. Here are some photos of my project. I began carving these mortises with my router, but then realised I am so underskilled in using it that I carved it manually. I'm very happy for that, because it brings a lot of fun and satisfaction when you finally make joints fitting so tight you could not use any glue to assemble the project.
  I used my chisels, properly sharpened and ready to work. But first I drilled some holes just to get rid of the material inside the mortise, then I made my way to the lines. Only remeber to make it in two steps.  First, cut only two perpendicular sides of a mortise, then put a tenon against the angle you've made and see how much of another sides you have to trim. This way of making mortises allows you to make them really tight.





  In the last photo you can see one of two cracks, which were really a problem as they were on the edge of the cabinet top. Of course I could have hidden them by changing the sequence of boards when I was making the top. But it was only way to make each board match another's grain. I closed the crack with some glue and much of pressure, as shown in the photos below.




  Again, last photo shows the next step I will make tommorow, I will make sliding dovetails to join legs to sides of the cabinet. I don't have the sides yet, but I hope I'll finish cutting and joining them tommorow, so there will be more photos of the project.
  Next photos show some of the things I've made before and didn't photograph yet.


  As you see, I've made a template for the legs in the cabinet. It should allow me to dry-fit the mortises before assembly. But, nevermind, it didn't work, because the shoulder of it's tenon happened to be different than the ones on the real legs. Another funny thing - a chalk holder. I bought a chalk and realised that it will sooner or later crush when used in a garage. I drilled a hole through a beech piece of wood, the hole has to be the same size as the diameter of the chalk stick and then drilled smaller one on the other side that will allow me to slide the chalk out. After that - a little of carving to make it more comfortable in use and voilà.


  Oh, the post gets bigger and bigger. Here is my hammer. I made it from a big piece of oak - to make the head, and smaller board to make a handle. Then carved a handle to fit my hand. It doesn't look beautiful, but is really helpful when I need to assemble things.
  Bellow- a surprise, there is a photo I've got from the Pinterest and my reply. Almost finished, waiting for a seat (it will be different than the one in the photo). Stay tuned.


2 comments: