Labels

Monday, April 30, 2012

Random thoughts.

  It's a pity I haven't done anything wooden since nearly two weeks. The problem is the matura is getting nearer and nearer, the first exam is supposed to be on Friday, the second worst for me, Polish exam. The first is Polish oral, ahh it hurts me a lot.
  But, I've had some time for thinking. How far is my, I mean Polish, culture from American or British ? The more I see on the Internet the bigger abyss I see between the cultures. And the only way to show one what exactly do I mean is to show some examples.
  I watched some photos on Pinterest and ran into some ideas of using old tires as planters. Some people commented it was great, plenty of them liked it and even a couple repinned to their own beauty-lists. I understand the phenomenon, hardly anyone from Poland would, but I do. The point is, we are far away from those times when people used some thrash as a piece of practical art. It's because of 1989-minus-1945 years of communism in our country. There was nothing available in shops and people had to queue for days, just like Apple-fans queued for iPhones, but they had to do that just to get some ham or other piece of meat. What's more, they could only get a little of it, because there was a strange system of nearly-equal portioning of goods (even a toilet paper was portioned). The whole situation learned people to use some obtainable things in untypical ways. The culture that had grown on those reused tires, wooden figures and garage-made furniture made us very fastidious, so the photos, which I've seen on Pinterest, just made me thinking, why so many people like it.
  There is one strange problem connected to the whole phenomenon about which I am writing. I didn't even live in the times of PRL - communism in Poland, I haven't ever been to any communist country and I haven't ever met any conservative communist. The system had left so noticeable stamp on Polish mentality, that it will take a couple of decades to forget it and fully understand the fact which I am writing about.
  It's strange, it will always be for me. But on the other hand, people from the West must really like my country when they visit it. Hah, I remember a phrase from a game, that fits the situation very well:
"Some people call them junk, but I call them treasures."

No comments:

Post a Comment