Labels

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Step two.

  As I promised, I attach some photos and description of the step-stools I've already made.


  They are made of pale oak. Hand shaped and hand sanded. The concaves in the legs were firts cut with a handsaw, then roughly shaped with a rasp to be finally symmetrically cut by a router with a flush-trimming bit and a template. I wish I've done it fully by hand, but there's always a problem with symmetry when cutting in curved line. But, the seat was totally shaped by a handplane, I made it slightly rounded and sunken for extra comfort when used.
  I think I should write more about the design. I saw the original stool when Julia's mom used it in their garden. I liked it very much and managed to make my own. That step-stool was really rough and old, it was one of those which had been used in Polish households in XIX and XX century for peeling potatoes and any other house chores. On top of that, Julia's stool was really not-so-well looking, after those years it needed extra support for legs not to collapse. So, I realised I can make one especially for Julia and her mom. That's how it started. 
  It's dimensions and outline (basic design) are similar to those of the previous stool. Made of five parts, nothing complicated. And that made me even more creative, having to make a simple thing not simple and unique. If you read my blog, you know that I hate nails, and more than nails I hate screws. The stool is assembled only with beech dowels, which keep it really sturdy and tightly. No glue, no metal.

Then I made another one for our shop on Etsy. Dark rustic one, antiqued by using my simple secret method. Enjoy!







Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. The mistery is how to do a brand new piece of furniture that looks ages-old.
    Very nice :)

    Regards
    -- Andrzej

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This method isn't so secret. I can show it on request, but only on request. Don't want to spoil it when nobody sees :)
      Szymon.

      Delete
  2. The shape and finish of this little stool are superb and I like that you have used 'treenails' to hold it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tried to make it the way people would make it in the past. Although, to be honest, they really used nails :)

      Delete