Labels

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Harvesting fruits.

Hello! Finally, I have photos of my little cabinet, still unfinished, but there's only one step to do. This description will be short and informative.
I've installed a couple of stretchers which support six drawers and their rails. The stretchers and rails are made of oak, hardwood to allow drawers to slide smoothly. That's really important thing when making drawers and their supports. In my last cabinet I, as my woodworking knowledge just started to crawl, made the rails of balsa, I had some little 'sticks' so I managed to use them there. It was the softest wood I could ever use, that's why they don't really slide well. But hey, now I know!



Up there is a snap of the cabinet top finished and waxed. You won't see how polished it is, but you can admire the beauty of wood I used for it. It's really great and it's still the most representative part of the cabinet. Until...




Yep. Until I finish sanding and waxing the drawers, which combined together build a next pattern of the wood grain. The design of the drawers is similar to the one used in the previous cabinet. Grooves fitting solid rails, great for small drawers like those. Bottoms of the drawers are not glued, just loose fit in grooves I made in the sides. Aha, and they are made of striped pine wood. Beautiful, istn't it ?



Last step: sanding the drawers' fronts and applying finish to them.
Then you will find the cabinet on Etsy. Stay tuned!

1 comment: