Labels

Sunday, September 30, 2012

A short discourse upon a style.

  It was a great month. For two first weeks I was in Tuscany, if you want to see some photos from the place please visit my girlfriend's blog (link is on the right-hand side). It is really beautiful place, the only thing is that when you just arrive and see the views you feel as if you were at home, in Poland. It's not so different. Then you begin to discover more and more differences as you have more contact with locals, their espresso-perversion, dining times, siesta, everything makes you more and more distant from the people there. It's because they act naturally and you just try to do it their way, that makes you a little overwhelmed then. But hey, the feeling is still great!
  I realised I have so much to make before my studies start. On top of that I wanted to sell something in our shop, it didn't come up well. Still patiently waiting for my first customer (Julia has already sold a set of 5 postcards, lucky she). I have much ideas to realise in my projects, so many inspirations back in Italy. When I've been seing all those big old buildings, like Sienese cathedral - really beautiful, or Florentine cathedral - that one is huge!, I wanted to memorise as much as I can to be able to incorporate their styles to my works. Although that sounds so pathetic as if I was a well-known designer or someone, I want to tell you I am not and I don't feel like. I use to think  in a very simple way about designing items. The look of the Florentine duomo is full of horizontal lines, line of cornice under it's windows lines up with cornices of side-chapels' domes, but the effect works only if you look at the cathedral from sides and from a distance. Look at a bell tower of the Sienese cathedral, count how many windows it has on every floor, then you'll see there is something odd with them.
  If you try to take designs to pieces, you learn a lot how to design your own items. How to do it from the very beggining still not using previously prepared styles and motives that would make your work unoriginal. Athough it's easy to design you own piece of art, it's far too easy to folow any of those hundreds of schemes created before. Then you must either choose one style or make your own one. Build your own brand.
  I don't have any experience to be able to learn people, but I have enough pride to show you how I see the world and how helpful it is. I hope I'm not only a theorist and will be able to show you some of my ideas incorporated to my works. And, what's more, I hope maybe someone will appreciate that.
  What do you think about the whole process of creating your own brand ? Have you found your own style, either as a person who makes things or someone who experiences art ?





2 comments:

  1. An interesting post, Szymon.
    It is exciting to be travelling, studying great architecture and foreign ways of doing things.
    I think your work already has a special quality, a goodness about it, which people will appreciate as you become known. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much :) You don't even know how much I appreciate your words.
      I must rethink the whole blog as I don't really have much visitors here, I don't really know what people expect from such kind of blog and how to attract them. And then with blogging would come sales as I would be able to advertise our shop wider than only on Etsy.

      Delete